Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Twinkie Mountain

     So I'm sure that most people know about the mad rush for Twinkies after the whole Hostess debaucle.  Twinkies were selling on eBay for $30 a box!  Made me wish for a moment that I'd done the crazy but oh-so-brilliant thing and emptied out the entire bank account to buy Twinkies to sell on eBay.  (And idea that would normally only occur to someone who was completely inebriated or seriously delusional.)

    I offhandedly thought of this on and off for a few days until I walked into my Walmart last week and saw this:


     OH GLORIOUS, TWINKIE MOUNTAIN!

     It was beautiful.  This towering mass of Twinkie goodness offered hope that maybe America wasn't going to fall apart at the seams.  After all, Twinkies are... well... TWINKIES.  That's all the explanation that is really needed.  They're always there to greet you in the snack food aisle.  A memory of your childhood and however you used to eat them.  When there was a threat that they'd disappear, there was a feeling of vertigo... a world without Twinkies?  Impossible.

    Thank you, Walmart.  Twinkie Mountain is a glorious shrine to the American Twinkie pastime.  For a few moments, I sat back and marveled.  Funny thing was, when I snapped this picture, there was a man over to my left who was doing the same thing.  We sat there and admired it for awhile.  Two strangers, different generations, brought together by the uniting force of creamy Twinkie goodness.

     The funny thing is, I almost never eat them anymore.  I didn't want one at all until they were supposed to be gone.  After Twinkie Mountain, though, I grabbed two boxes and brought them home.  Gotta let the kids experience Twinkies.  After all, nothing is permanent.

No comments:

Post a Comment