Monday, July 16, 2012

Polymer Clay Geisha

     I watched "Memoirs of a Geisha" the other day (one of my favorite movies) and was inspired with the colorful clothes and beautiful settings in the movie.  I instantly wanted to sculpt my own version of a geisha and after a clay doodle session, I came up with this:



     These were actually taken on a white piece of paper, but with the kids jumping around, I couldn't get the color settings just right.  This is close enough, though.  :)

     I named this geisha "Hatsumomo", not after the one in the movie (thank goodness, she wasn't the nicest person in the world), but because it means "first born" and "peach".  I found it fitting seeing as she was the first geisha I've ever made, and her head is most definitely round like a peach.  Hatsumomo is it!  She is 1.75" tall.

     She was made using Sculpey Studio polymer clay and Swarovski crystals.  After she was baked and cooled, I painted her face and obi and added just a touch of blush to her cheeks before signing the bottom (which I do with most of my polymer designs, though not all) and double-glazing her.

     Hatsumomo is going to be appearing in my Etsy shop.  That is, if the kids ever stop jumping on me!  :)

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! There are so many different outfits and accessories that they had. Possibilities are endless! :)

      Delete